Re: ELisp futures and continuations/coroutines

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: ELisp futures and continuations/coroutines
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:40:47 +0200

() Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
() Thu, 19 May 2011 10:31:21 -0500

   You mean fsm-0.1ttn5.el from gnu.emacs.sources?
   (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-emacs-sources/2007-02/msg00006.html)

Yes, or the original (also to gnu-emacs-sources).  Same idea.

   Do you want to provide an example of how it would work to tie a
   hypothetical future type with process sentinels through fsm.el?  It
   seems reasonable but I don't know enough to say.

No, because i don't know what such a future type would do.  I just know
that i have successfully (and more pleasantly than initially imagined)
used fsm to implement a multicast proxy server (1 in, N out), which had
as its core requirement, the ability to chunk computation into disparate
pieces to be evaluated later.  From this congruent experience, i would
guess that a "future type" would be some subset of the fsm internals.

Analogous to the "keymap type", which is really just a list with symbol
‘keymap’ in its CAR, i am guessing one could poke around fsm internals
and derive a "future type", without having to go to C.

Which is to say, i also don't know enough to say, but i see a similarity.

--
a sig, not big, i fig, you dig?