Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 14:12:07 -0400

>> So display-buffer-alist would be a list of (MATCHER . THINGS) where
>> THINGS are lists of (DISPLAY-SPECIFIERS . SOMETHING-ELSE)?  What are the
>> SOMETHING-ELSE and what do they do?

> What the doc-string of `display-buffer-alist' individually describes for
> each specifier.  For the reuse-window specifier it's a <window, buffer,
> frame> triple, for the pop-up-window specifier it's a list of <window,
> side> tuples, and for many other specifiers it's a boolean.

So, IIUC, compared to

    display-buffer-alist ::= list of (CONDITION . RULE)
    RULE                 ::= (FUNCTIONS . ALIST)
    FUNCTIONS            ::= list of FUNCTION

DISPLAY-SPECIFIERS play the role of FUNCTIONS and the SOMETHING-ELSE is
the ALIST, so it contains arguments to pass to each of the FUNCTIONS and
some of those args may be specific to some of the functions while others
may be obeys by all/some of the functions.

So it looks like we're beginning to converge.

> I'm lost here.  Do you mean that users who prefer the old
> `display-buffer' behavior get overridden by the application whenever
> it passes an argument but do get the old behavior when the application
> does not pass an argument?

Yes.

        Stefan