Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:24:04 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:04:25 +0400
>> From: Andrey Paramonov <address@hidden>
>>
>> However if the special direction symbols will start to leak into some
>> "usual" buffers, like programming language/xml modes, that might become
>> a problem. Now if an UTF-8 buffer contains only latin characters, it's
>> also ASCII. This is very common for a program source to be ASCII-only.
>> But if special symbols are added to it by Emacs, it's no more ASCII and
>> there is no guarantee that is will then correctly be compiled by another
>> program.
>>
>> Just an opinion from a L2R user here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Emacs should not (and does not) insert directional controls into any
> "usual" buffers, unless the user inserts them manually, or asks for
> that in some other way.  These control characters can "leak" into such
> buffers only if the user copy/pastes text from some "unusual" buffer.
> But the same issue will happen if one pastes text with some other
> non-ASCII character, like Cyrillic.

I can still pick iso-8869-5 encoding for a cyrillic cut&paste, but not
if it contains L2R marks.  And when having pure ASCII with L2R mark
leakage into it, I can't save under any 8-bit encoding (well, iso-8859-8
would work, but who is going to be able to read it?).

Emacs should really avoid formatting things with L2R marks that are not
actually required.

Is there a reason nobody responded to my repeated proposal to let
`format' deal with inserting L2R marks?

--
David Kastrup