Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:10:42 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:46:09 +0200
>
> Your stance is that it is ok to pepper text prepared by Emacs (and the
> Emacs sources all across the board) with LRM characters as long as it
> has a moderate chance of getting closer to 100% accuracy _when_ Hebrew
> characters move into the payload.
>
> But you don't get that accuracy anyway since it _only_ works for those
> areas that are explicitly prepared for it, and external maintainers of
> modes will not change all their code on the theoretic assumption that
> somebody might get ugly results when injecting Hebrew.
>
> We have been that down the "everybody will adapt if forced to properly"
> road already with multibyte characters in 20.2 or so, when
> (forward-char) was different from (goto-char (1+ (point))).  That
> approach failed and was replaced with a different, less efficient solution.
>
> Any solution that requires code review and adaptation everywhere in code
> that works fine without R2L content is not going to work.
>
> Blind activism is not going to solve the problem you perceive.

You are dead wrong: I have no activism stance in this matter.  I
actually don't care.  My job was to give Emacs infrastructure upon
which bidi-aware features could be built.  That job is almost done,
modulo bugs that will show during the pretest.  The rest is the
responsibility of those unnamed "external maintainers of modes"--they
are free not to care about catering to the hundreds of millions of
readers of R2L scripts enough to adapt: it's their funeral.  I myself
rarely if at all use any R2L scripts in Emacs.

Everything I wrote in this thread is just advice, no less, no more.
Advice from someone who knows something about how reordering works,
and what can or cannot be easily solved or coded.  You can take it or
you can continue attacking it, be my guest any way.  But if you want
to convince me, you will have to come up with something more tangible
than just FUD.