Re: A few Windows build fixes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A few Windows build fixes
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 14:04:01 -0400

> Yes, we do: on the lowest possible level that Emacs handles file names
> before it passes them to system APIs.  I pointed out the relevant
> function in w32.c where that happens.  If you transform all file names
> there, every single feature of Emacs will work as expected by users.

You're talking about adding support for cygwin file names at the very
lowest level?  Well, yes, that'd probably be just as reliable as
within cygwin.
We'd want it to have zero impact to the users who don't use cygwin
(and may not even have it installed), of course.

Also, once cygwin file names are supported, I think people will expect
more integration of (native) Emacs and cygwin, e.g. in subprocesses.

        Stefan