Re: smtp crap

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 09:10:20 -0500

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Even if it works flawlessly, this "feature" should _not_ be the default.
>
> In particular, it is ridiculous that a user trying to send a simple bug report
> with `emacs -Q' has to run through the extra hurdle of this inane, possibly
> confusing, and error-prone dialog ("yes"; edit the `From' line; "n").  I
> cannot
> believe this silliness has gone on this long already.

[...]

I agree but wanted to tell you that I too was seeing that problem for
a time.  I cannot recall now what I did to stop it, or maybe it just
went away on an update of nognus.

And I'm not finding anything in .gnus, .emacs or site-start.el
regarding smtp or send.

Sorry I cannot help but at least you know there is some kind of fix.

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
OOOPS back that `can't help' part up a minitue

 I checked .emacs-custom on `send' and think I've found the fix
maybe:

(custom-set-faces
(custom-set-variables
     '(send-mail-function (quote sendmail-send-it))))

Must have done that in customize but I agree with you that I shouldn't
have had too.  Why change a default that has worked well for must of
us for so long.

Maybe its a reflection of where the majority of the emacs user base is.