Re: smtp crap

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 20:20:06 +0530

On Sat, Oct 08 2011,Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[snipped 13 lines]

> Anyway, we had that value for a long time, and I don't remember any
> Windows users complaining.

This was done in the 23.1 release, right?  Because I was surprised
that Emacs was trying to launch F'Fox to send email on my win32
machine when I was using gnus for quite sometime.  I think I read the
NEWS file and the manual to figure out what to do next.  Though it did
take some time for me to figure it out.

[snipped 5 lines]

> And mind you, we won't be preventing users from reconfiguring to use a
> better mailer.  It's just the default, it can be customized.  If we
> want, we can provide a command for such a configuration, which will
> run the same code that is now in sendmail-query-once.

what about checking whether there's a .gnus file, or a VM,
Mews/rmail(and other Emacs only mail client) dot file and not doing
anything in such a case?  Yes, I understand, users can name their dot
files arbitrarily but since we are trying defaults....

 sivaram