Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 02:00:06 -0800

On 12/01/11 13:54, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Are any of these dependencies the one that caused your problem?
>
>     configure: configure.in aclocal.m4
>
> It might have been that one: configure.in was changed.

To avoid this problem, you can run 'configure' without
specifying the --enable-maintainer-mode option.  That's
the option that generates the dependency that gave
you the problem.  I guess the idea is that maintainers
typically want to be more cautious.

"make bootstrap" enables maintainer mode if it is run in
a freshly checked-out source tree, so if you did that you'll
also have the problem.  I don't know why "make bootstrap"
sometimes (but not always) enables maintainer mode; this
was introduced in bzr 88802 dated 2008-06-20 but the ChangeLog
doesn't say why the maintainer-mode enabling was added.

Perhaps "make bootstrap" should not enable maintainer mode.
That might prevent the kind of problem that you ran into.