Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:47:03 +0100

2011/12/19 René Kyllingstad <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 17:52, Carsten Mattner
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Jan D. <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > AFAIK, the Mac port uses Carbon, and is based om Emacs 23, i.e. no Emacs
>> > 24
>> > features (like multitty).
>>
>> Sounds like the Mac port should be obsolete and deprecated as
>> Carbon is deprecated and I'm not even sure it's in Lion anymore.
>

> This is alas a common misunderstanding about the Mac port.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-11/msg00424.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-11/msg00499.html

Hmm, what about M-x ns-popup-font-panel and friends?
It's not like this cannot be made to work.

--with-ns priority should be OSX and Gnustep as 2nd tier I believe so that
OSX has a good graphical frontend.

> The Mac port hasn't been integrated because none of the maintainers are
> particularly interested nor knowledgeable about the mac platform, and the
> author of the port has not pushed for it.
>
> So instead of a rock solid port where the author knows _exactly_ why every
> line of code is the way it is, we have a crashy mess nobody wants to spend
> any time on. Yay.

Not sure. No matter how you look at it, Carbon is deprecated and a
bad choice for inclusion.

--with-ns seems to use Cocoa and is therefore the better choice
down the road from what I can gather.

Having said that, if I was able to make all key bindings work in the terminal,
I would most probably ignore graphical frontends and use -nw only.
I use bitmap fonts because they look clean and sharp, but that may be
matter of personal preference. Any remedy so that I can ditch gui frontends
and therefore save even more memory as a side effect?