Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:24:07 +0900

>> I'll admit that my mac development experience ended about ten years
>> ago, but my reading of the notes from then and now both suggest that
>> Carbon is a Toolbox replacement/bridge tool, and that it is being
>> phased out over time. I believe that your information is more
>> up-to-date than mine, but my reading of the notes on Carbon seems to
>> state clearly that the entire thing is deprecated and will
>> eventually go away.  I trust you when you say that this is not a
>> practical concern for the Mac port today. Do you believe that it is
>> also not a practical concern for main-line Emacs over the next few
>> years?

> I don't think the above C APIs that are supported and legitimate even
> in iOS will go away in the near future.  For the Carbon framework
> (again, its non-GUI part), you can find about half of the bundled
> applications in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion are using it.  You can list them
> with:

>   $ for f in /Applications/*.app /Applications/Utilities/*.app; do otool -L
> "$f"/Contents/MacOS/* | grep -q Carbon && echo "$f"; done

> Safari.app is not listed, but actually it uses the Carbon framework,
> too.

>   $ otool -L /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Safari.framework/Safari | grep
> Carbon

> So, it wouldn't go away too soon, either.  (Of course, I can't speak
> for Apple, as I said in the post I referred to in the previous
> message.)

Most of the uses of the Carbon framework in the Mac port are for Apple
Events and Carbon Events.  If the former is removed from the framework
in the near future, then Apple will provide some replacements in the
Cocoa framework beforehand or at least at the same time.  For the
latter, I don't think its removal would happen in the near future,
because Apple has added new types of Carbon Events even at the release
of the most recent version of Mac OS X (See
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Headers/CarbonEvents.h
and search for 10.7).

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden