Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:23:46 +0100

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
<address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I'd recommend that for your important tasks.  But it would be
>>> appreciated if you could try the NS port for the tasks where crash
>>> is not so critical and send bug reports.
>
>> Sure. I'm surprised you endorse the NS port instead of the Mac or
>> Aqua ports :-).
>
> I didn't make the subject of the sentence explicit.  At least bug
> reports for the NS port will be appreciated by someone.  I
> occasionally test whether the reported bugs can also be reproduced
> with the Mac port.

Sure. Which I did yesterday with the crash report.

>>> BTW, Terminal.app bundled with Lion is also linked with the Carbon
>>> framework, so if you really want to avoid Carbon as much as
>>> possible, then it would be better to use another terminal emulator.
>
>> I use iTerm2.app and xterm.
>
> FWIW, both iTerm2 and X11.app are linked with the Carbon framework, in
> case it still really matters for you.

Doesn't matter in that case as there are maintainers for those.
Emacs' OSX frontends would be better served with more concentrated
efforts trying to make emacs mainline a better experience.
Actually if you ignore the memory leaks (which according to the last
two days were plenty in the NS port) and crashes I never missed anything
in the NS port. I don't use more than 7-bit ASCII, though.

>> The comparison doesn't hold as the OSX gui frontend of GNU Emacs is
>> not as well maintained and tested as the X frontend.  Therefore it
>> makes a difference which future path is selected and limited
>> resources are used for. If Carbon is deprecated and we already have
>> a Cocoa frontend, enhancing that seems like a better plan to me.
>
> Did you read through the thread?  The Mac port uses Cocoa AppKit for
> GUI.

I tried to read it but got lost and that's why I thought I should
just try to use the text frontend.

>> Would you consider porting over missing bits into the --with-ns
>> frontend?
>
> No.

Fair enough. Is it a lot of work to port the Mac frontend to
bzr trunk?