Re: Merging Org 7.8.02 before Emacs 24.1

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Merging Org 7.8.02 before Emacs 24.1
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 09:55:34 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Please provide some more information about the plan for Org
> development.

I expect 7.9 to happen in January or February and 8.0 in March or
April.  I don't think 7.9 will contain major changes, only small new
features.  The most significant change in Org 8.0 will be a more
systematic use of the new export engine.

In a word: 7.8 contains more new features over 7.7 than 8.0 will
contain over 7.8.

> Suppose we merge 7.8.02 into trunk; what assurance would we have that,
> within months, the Org team wouldn't switch tack and "strongly suggest"
> the latest Org containing yet more features, rather than 7.8.02?

No assurance at all.  There will be releases with more features in
the next coming months.  But I believe none of these features will be
as important as the two I described in my previous email.

> That would defeat the purpose of a feature freeze.

IMHO the feature freeze would make more sense if there was a deadline
for the Emacs release.

Is there one?

Planning Org releases and merges would be easier then.

--
 Bastien