Re: ido-show-dot-for-dired

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: Re: ido-show-dot-for-dired
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 12:38:00 -0700

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> The current behaviour is quite handy to open current default-directory
> i.e. C-x d RET and you are done.

Right, but do we need the dot for that?

I guess this is somewhat related to my bug report #10731
(http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10731).

There the argument is that the head of the list is not selected because
that is consistent with the buffer selection dialog. I can agree with
that. Enter and C-j should not have the same effect.

However, isn't the dot in case of the C-x d dialog the head of the list?
If the dot wasn't there, C-j could still send you to the current default
directory, which would be consistent with the behavior you described in
the bug report. Whereas now with the dot, C-j and Enter _have_ the same
effect. They both select the current default-directory.

If I _dont't_ want to select the current directory but move down a
hierarchy of directories which all contain a single subdirectory I
always need a C-s to select the subdirectory (and not the dot) and then
press Enter. Without the dot I can just press Enter, Enter, Enter
etc. and if I want to open dired at any point I press C-j.

Christoph