Re: ido-show-dot-for-dired

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: Re: ido-show-dot-for-dired
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:13:56 -0700

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2012-02-06 03:38 +0800, Christoph Scholtes wrote:
>> However, isn't the dot in case of the C-x d dialog the head of the list?
>> If the dot wasn't there, C-j could still send you to the current default
>> directory, which would be consistent with the behavior you described in
>> the bug report. Whereas now with the dot, C-j and Enter _have_ the same
>> effect. They both select the current default-directory.
>
> The effect is the same but they are different. If "." were not there,
> ENTER can not open the current directory. Another concern is C-j is a
> bit less friendly towards new users.

I see your point. Maybe I am just so used to using C-j for this. I can
see how RET is definitely easier for new users.

> But your proposal is slightly better for experienced ido users. Maybe we
> could make the change you proposed and then advertise C-j more, after
> all that is one of the keys users must understand. What do you think?

I personally would like the option to turn the dot off for directory
lists also. The only other question would be whether one would want the
flexibility of having the option ido-show-dot-for-dired in file lists
(as it is now) _and_ directory lists separately or whether we can tie
them together with one option.

How would you advertise the use of C-j? Via manual?

Christoph