Re: CL package serious deficiencies

From: Nix
Subject: Re: CL package serious deficiencies
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 00:15:42 +0000

On 8 Feb 2012, Lennart Borgman said:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 00:52, Nix <address@hidden> wrote:
>> For compatibility reasons I suspect we need to put the renamed versions
>> in something new ('cl-dumped', say, or 'cl-clean'), and have the old
>> cl.el versions become defaliases to them. (The Emacs core's uses of cl
>> can be fixed up, but cl is widely used in third-party modules, so we
>> can't just drop those names.)
>
> But we can have the same policy as now regarding the use of the old
> names for things in cl.el.

Sure. One downside is that this means that the intricate code in
bytecomp.el can't be removed (surely not until use of cl-clean, or
whatever we call it, becomes second nature to elisp writers). I'm not
sure what to do about that: it feels inelegant to have a bunch of code
in the byte-compiler whose only purpose is to discriminate against one
particular package, be it ever so ugly. But that's a minor thing.

--
NULL && (void)