Re: A patch for enforcing double-width CJK character display

From: 黄建忠
Subject: Re: A patch for enforcing double-width CJK character display
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:21:52 +0800

Hi, All,
Patch updated, add support for CJK half-width letters.

1, There are some forms in Japanese:
Full-width Hirakana/katakana
Half-width katakana
The width of Half-Width katakana equals to 1/2 of Full-width Katakana letters.

2, There are also some forms for Korean basic letters. Full-Width letters and Half-Width letters.

The half-width letters for J/K is ignored in previous patch, since the width is even smaller than English letters from monospace font.

The updated patch add support for such half-width letters and align it according to single English glyph width,
Normal CJK glyphs still use 2 * English glyph width as reference.

NOTE the second line in attachments, It shows the result of half-width katakana before/after the patch applied.

The link below provides a full list of such half-width letters.
http://svn.jacekowski.org/chromium/trunk/third_party/icu/source/data/translit/Fullwidth_Halfwidth.txt

于 2012年04月16日 14:37, 黄建忠 写道:
[mail rejected again and again , resend to list]

Hi, Miles.

I had downloaded the font and try it with such settings:

1, LANG=ja_JP.utf8
2, remove all zh/ja fonts existed on my Linux, and just let it match "kiloji" font.
3, set emacs font size 10 or 13.

And got the result as attachments, It is readable and just looks like before, but the alignment issue is fixed. (NOTE the alignment of VERTICAL BAR)

I think you have some misunderstanding about the fix and character width and font width.

1, although the "kiloji" character width looks as small as monospace font width, but the real pixel width of the glyph is already wide enough,
   It's the font choose to leave too much space left and right of the character.

2, for Monospace 10, the pixelsize is 14, then it matches a "koliji 10" with pixelsize 12. that's to say,
the fix only added ONE pixel left and ONE pixel right. Can  anybody feel such a little alignment change?

The patch should be good enough for you and I am sure you will never fell the change of the alignment after the fix.

Do not guess the result and just have a try :-D

于 2012年04月16日 13:40, 黄建忠 写道:
Got it, I will try this font.

by the way, You can add a line to your .emacs.
(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'han "FONTFAMILY FONTSIZE" )
replace "FONTFAMILY" and FONTSIZE according to your environment.
And FONTSIZE can be ignored if you had no need to specify a size for this font.

于 2012年04月16日 13:27, Miles Bader 写道: