plain-text markdown handler for Gnus (was: BEGIN_SRC..END_SRC)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: plain-text markdown handler for Gnus (was: BEGIN_SRC..END_SRC)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 11:17:26 -0400

On Wed, 16 May 2012 09:05:09 -0400 Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

ES> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Wed, 09 May 2012 13:36:33 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
SM> This said, I find
>>
SM> (defun sm-foo ()
SM> (try that))
>>
SM> to be a lot more legible anyway, even without any fancy coloring.
>>
>> OK, so inline Markdown markup looks good to you.  I think Gnus can
>> support it together with JIRA-style tags ({code:LANGUAGE}...{code}).
>>

ES> FWIW, I've been using the indented markup implementation from my
ES> previous email for a week or so now and it seems fairly robust (it
ES> hasn't trashed any mail so far).  I'll include it here if there is any
ES> interest in using it.  After loading the following and re-viewing this
ES> email in gnus, the code will be font-locked.

[general mm-uu handler omitted]

This is very nice but I think it's also nice to use the `markdown'
processor directly (as markdown-mode does).  It will handle more of the
Markdown markup and generates HTML which we can then inline.  I'm not
sure--can anyone with Markdown experience comment?  This would be
Gnus-specific because the HTML result would then be part of the article
buffer.

Also it would be very useful to detect Markdown automatically based on
some traits, like 4-space indented quotes and the other Markdown markup.

Ted