Project initialization files?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Project initialization files?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:25:33 -0700

Hi,

I am probably not guessing the correct search term to find  prior discussions
of what I'm interested in, sorry.  Anyway, I work on a number of different
projects and each of them have their own favored way of indenting the code.
To cope with this, emacs and Vim have mechanisms for automatically
formatting the code to the preferred formatting style.  All you need is a little
comment like "c-file-style: gnu", for example.  Well, the Linux kernel has
decided to remove these warts, they've never been acceptable at my various
employers and often they are not incorporated into projects I play around with.

What to do?  It seems to me there ought to be some way of saying, "C files
in this tree are gnu-style, that tree is Stroustrup and over there use
the linux-kernel's favored style.  I think it boils down to this question:

How hard would it be to set up a personal registry of projects
(~/emacs.d/projects)
that specified the c-file-style for all .c/.h files in a tree?  So if
I edit files in
~/my-day-job, I use the "work" style, etc.

Does such a thing already exist?  EDE isn't quite it and it requires a special
file added to the source code to boot.  But what I'd like to find ought to be
able to pilfer some of that code...

Suggestions?  Thanks!  - Bruce