RE: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (`C-g')
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 08:18:35 -0700

> > As you say, someone might want that last successful search string to
> > be stored in the search ring (I've sometimes expected it).
>
> Yes, I actually prefer to have it in the history (and skip it when
> I don't want it)

Folly.  See my reply to Dani.

> than to fail to find it.

Today, you do fail to find it.  It is completely lost.

But I cannot imagine that you really want to be able to find _all_ such
unvisited search strings on your search rings.

To me, being able to retrieve just the last such string is adequate - TRT.  I've
used this feature (what I proposed).  I suggest you try it, and you try also
your suggestion of systematically adding all successful searches to the rings,
and then compare.

If you do decide to do what you are proposing, please provide us users a way out
- a way to keep the sane search histories of today, without their pollution by
umpteen zillion abandoned searches.