[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 19:36:18 +0200

> From: Adrian Robert <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 17:24:08 +0000 (UTC)
> Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen <at> xemacs.org> writes:
> > 
> > Nix writes:
> > 
> >  > (Even on mobile devices with touchscreens, where you swipe the text
> >  > to move the text up, that operation is *still* called 'scrolling
> >  > down'.)
> > 
> > Which drives me nuts, because it's the text that moves (and that's
> > true in editors, as well).  For me it's "page down" but "scroll the
> > text up".  "Scroll [nothing in particular but Do What I Mean dammit]
> > <direction>" is just uninterpretable to me. 
> Sure, the text moves, but we don't care about it.

Alas, people _do_ care about what they do vs what they say or see.
Try calling something white "black" and see if it sticks.

> "Scroll down" refers to what happens with the *viewer's* perspective
> into the content that we are focusing on.

This reasoning would work if you'd need to swipe the window's frame
down, and text would then move up.  But that's not what's happening:
the user must explicitly swipe the text UP.

This is different from desktops, where you press a key labeled "Page
Down", and don't make any gestures in the upward direction.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]