Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 13:14:48 -0600

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Drew Adams <address@hidden>
introduced a description of various ways to experience "scrolling" in
the physical world via

> 1. Long after the advent and even the widespread use of digital computers, ...

Many on this list probably are old enough to remember fan folded paper
continuously fed into line printers and dot matrix terminals.  True
old timers will have worked on Teletype machines fed from fat rolls of
pulpy yellow paper.

When programmers describe a shell session captured in a file or a
buffer as a "typescript" I have always assumed that terminology to
hearken back to such physical experiences.

/john