Re: Unuseful keybindings

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Unuseful keybindings
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 20:48:03 -0100

"Sebastien Vauban"
<address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Drew,
>
> "Drew Adams" wrote:
>>> As for the <f11> keybinding, AFAICT that is becoming the
>>> standard "full screen" key in many applications;
>>
>> So what?  Many applications are not Emacs.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> it is good to follow the convention.
>>
>> Stuff & nonsense.  It is good to look out for Emacs - we are its guardians.
>> It
>> lives in a world of chaos and convention.  Neither the chaos nor any
>> convention
>> has special pull, nor should it have.
>
> Let me first thank you for what you provide us with around Emacs world. Your
> packages are very useful to me.
>
> Though, I tend to disagree with the above. Just my opinion, not wanting any
> war with any of you.

Here's my +1.

> But, I must admit I like conventions, particularly when they're shared. I
> would have loved Emacs to share C-x/c/v rules for cut/copy/paste. I'd be glad
> there would be some common ground between all the applications out there. How
> many times do I press C-y in non-Emacs programs?  I'd accept some
> uniformization between apps, even if not better grounded than "like the most
> popular app out there, now".

Oh how I hate typing C-w in Firefox when trying to cut some text from a
form, and making the page disappear instead. Or typing C-s and seeing
the "save" dialog. I do like these keybindings, though, so moving to
cua-mode or etc is not exactly an option.

I don't think I'm going to use the new binding much, but I totally
support moving toward compatibility with other programs, at least where
there are no pre-existing keybindings.

> I'm even telling against me, as F11 is bound to `undo' for me, right now...

I think the resistance here can be explained by the correlation between
people who like to keep their Emacs fullscreen and people who try to do
everything in Emacs, and so don't care about other programs (and their
keybindings) as much.