Re: call-process having problems with a big total length of arguments un

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: call-process having problems with a big total length of arguments under Windows
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:21:52 +0200

> From: Mathias Dahl <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 14:19:54 +0100
>
> PS. I found a limit on the number of arguments I can use if the
> argument is one character:
>
> (apply 'call-process
>        (append (list
>                 "ping"
>                 nil t nil)
>                (make-list 16369 "1")))
>
> Now, if I double the length of each argument I can get higher than
> 16369 characters in total:
>
> (apply 'call-process
>        (append (list
>                 "ping"
>                 nil t nil)
>                (make-list 10912 "12")))
>
> So, it's not simply the total amount, but a combination of the number
> of arguments on the length of those arguments.
>
> Any ideas?

The API used to invoke subprocesses on MS-Windows imposes a hard limit
of 32KB on the length of the command line passed to the subprocess.
This length includes all the arguments your Lisp program conses, plus
the blank characters that delimit each argument from the next.  Does
this explain what you see?