Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 18:13:59 +0900

Dmitry Gutov writes:

 > > The maintainer says he is fixing some bugs, and I asked him
 > > just yesterday to fix the ELPA branch bug.
 >
 > Isn't this a bit late? The bug is 1.5 years old. Was he not aware of it
 > before?

No, true, yes, and Richard is aware of all those facts, I'm sure.
Good projects go dormant for years, sometimes.  Richard knows and
accepts that.  Obviously, he's trying to do something to reverse it in
this case because it's important to Emacs to have a good VCS.

Dmitry, please go back and review the original discussion that led to
selection of Bazaar.  Everything you need to know will be in the
emacs-devel archives.  While I strongly disagreed with that decision,
and equally strongly disagree with this one, Richard's position is
entirely consistent across time.  If you're going to change his mind,
you're going to need to deal with his reasons, which already were
strong enough to overcome objections to Bazaar (which was much farther
behind git in almost all ways at that time).  I myself don't have any
strong new reasons, sorry, so I can't help you.