Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112148: Added eshell-tramp modul

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112148: Added eshell-tramp module
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:03:11 +1300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> This said, IIUC just loading eshell-tramp.el will also enable it (tho
>>> not "completely").  That's a problem (and yes, this is not a new
>>> problem, it's just a problem in most/all eshell modules).
>> Yes, if the feature `em-tramp' is loaded but the module is not enabled,
>> then it is just taking up memory and doing nothing.
>
> Just taking up memory is not a problem.  But IIUC since it defines
> eshell/su, it will have an impact on eshell buffers, even if
> eshell-tramp-initialize is not called, right?

Oh, no, that won't be a problem, because eshell-tramp-initialize has to
be called (for each buffer) to register the functions.

em-tramp.el line 51:

  (make-local-variable 'eshell-complex-commands)
  (setq eshell-complex-commands
        (append '("su" "sudo")
                            eshell-complex-commands))

So if the module is enabled (and loaded, of course), and you disable it
and then create a new eshell buffer, running the commands su and sudo
will invoke the external commands, not the internal eshell/su and
eshell/sudo.

--Aidan

(Sorry for the duplicate; I keep hitting R instead of F in Gnus.)