Re: [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r374: company: Release 0.6.2

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r374: company: Release 0.6.2
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 13:12:40 -0400

> My achievement so far:

> C:\Users\gutov\vc\emacs-bzr\elpa\packages\company>bzr merge
> git://github.com/company-mode/company-mode.git
> bzr: ERROR: exceptions.AssertionError: Invalid sha for <Commit
> 6aea960adb30c66faa14e4bd57a4e62e94eacd94>:
> 2a59ce05bd0a86db1911f07adb942f10b8540614

In my experience bzr-git works significantly better on a local branch, so
I always first make a local Git clone.  More specifically I normally do:

   git clone <giturl>   # Done because bzr-git works better locally
   bzr branch <localgit> tmp
   cd tmp
   bzr mkdir .newroot
   bzr mv * .newroot/
   ... maybe other bzr mv .<blabla> .newroot/ ...
   bzr split .newroot
   mv .newroot .../elpa/packages/<package>
   cd .../elpa/packages/
   bzr join <package>

the "bzr mv+bzr split" dance is necessary to work around a limitation of
bzr-git where all the root directories have the same "id", so the first
"bzr join" worked (tho it introduced the all too famous commit that then
triggers a bug in "bzr checkout"), but ever since we first need to do
this dance that moves all the files to another root directory (hence
with a different "id").

This said, I just tried it and the "bzr join" failed with "inventory
already contains entry with id {README.md}": apparently there are more
problems of id-collisions than the root directory.

> Do you mind if, while ELPA transition to Git is still is progress, I commit
> the latest version in the same manner as before?

No, please do.  Just please try and preserve some of the info, e.g. by
copying the "git log" or at the the revision id from which you merged.

        Stefan