Re: About the web pages repository

From: xfq
Subject: Re: About the web pages repository
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:11:26 +0800

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:

>    Why is the web pages repo of Emacs still using CVS?  I cannot find
>    the original post for this decision, and I know commits to the web
>    pages repo are less often than the sources repo.  But I think it is
>    more convenient and maintainable to use one VCS for a project
>    (Emacs).
>
> The web paegs for all GNU packagess are currently maintained w/ CVS.
> Emacs is not special, here.
>
> On my (tertiary) TODO list is asking for (read-only) access to the web
> server in order to document the current maintenance (creation, update)
> protocol in the form of a tarball (of scripts) + .texi, for offline
> analysis, redesign, and testing.  The goal is to raise the protocol's
> abstractions and expose a simple configuration item (to savannah) so
> that each project's maintainers could choose the VCS for its web pages,
> much as they can currently choose the VCS for its source code.

Good idea.  And we can also learn from XEmacs[fn:1].

> Maybe someone else w/ more time and expertise (in web stuff) can do this
> job before me; i for one certainly would not mind (hint hint).
>
> Once that is in place, we can commence Emacs-specific (i.e., multi-year,
> circular, exhausting) discussion on which VCS to use for the web pages,
> maybe.

That's true.  In emacs-devel, there's huge amounts of opinion throwing.
People don't agree on things, especially on UI/VCS/freedom.  These
threads often spans into hundreds of messages and debates.  In the end,
typically nothing is done or changed.  After years, the very same issue
pops up again...

Footnotes:

[fn:1] http://xemacs.org/About/Website.html

--