Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113958: * minibuffer.el (completion--sifn-requo

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113958: * minibuffer.el (completion--sifn-requote): Bind `non-essential'.
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:46:38 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>> Honestly, I don't know too much about the completion code in
>> minibuffer.el. The OP has reported the following backtrace (shortened by
>> me):
>
> My point is simply that the backtrace you show does not seem to perform
> non-essential work, so binding non-essential is not right.  It is
> computing the completion of /ssh:address@hidden:/ (not quite sure
> why, since the backtrace doesn't go further up).

The whole backtrace is in
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-08/msg00533.html>
(the second backtrace in this message).

>> Sadly, I cannot reproduce this scenario locally. And I have no idea, why
>>       completion--sifn-requote(27 "/ssh:address@hidden:/")
>> calls
>>       substitute-in-file-name("/ssh:address@hidden")
>
> Can't say offhand either why not.  Maybe we should simply demote errors
> from substitute-in-file-name inside completion--sifn-requote.
>
> At the same time I wonder why (substitute-in-file-name
> "/ssh:address@hidden") should signal an error: it looks like an
> incomplete filename, so we don't know yet whether it'll really be an
> error or not.

For Tramp, it is a complete filename wrt syntax. "ssh" is recognised as
host name, which is regarded as an error since we had decided this some
weeks ago. See <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13900#24>.

Setting `non-essential' to t is a mean to tell Tramp not to check this.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.