Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 01:33:38 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I do think we need some paren-matching enabled by default.
> I'm surprised blink-matching-paren can elicit such strong sentiments,

Maybe it would've elicited better reception if the blinking was not
performed with a cursor jump (if the cursor stayed where it was, and the
blink was performed in, say, show-paren-match).  As it is, my first
impression of using it was, how do I get my cursor back?

> since I myself find it very nice, providing just enough info to be
> useful (including when the open paren is out of sight) without getting
> in the way (you can just ignore the cursor-jump if you don't care about
> it).

You can ignore it after the first impression wears off and you get it,
but it still takes some small amount of cognitive load that maybe would
be better spent elsewhere.

>>> Whenever it happens again do not hesitate to file a complaint here, too.

Yes, sure, thanks. Though some of my expectations might be different
from the general public.

> Just a guess, but the window-handling can "mess up" without it being
> a bug, so the "something different from what I'd expect" may still be
> "the right choice" in general.

Also yes.