Re: Modifying a variable from describe-variable

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Modifying a variable from describe-variable
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 16:45:11 +0000 (UTC)

João Távora <joaotavora <at> gmail.com> writes:
r all variables.

> This is so good I've already hacked it for me. No idea if I'm doing it
> correctly though...
>
> Thanks a lot for the idea.

If I understand correctly your solution does not provide the current
value of the variable by default, though this is the point.

E.g. if I have a value like

(("\\.org$" . org-mode)
 ("\\.php$" . html-mumamo-mode)
 ("\\.gpg\\(~\\|\\.~[0-9]+~\\)?\\'" nil epa-file)
 ("\\.dz\\'" nil jka-compr)
 ("\\.xz\\'" nil jka-compr)
 ("\\.lzma\\'" nil jka-compr)
 ("\\.lz\\'" nil jka-compr)
 ("\\.g?z\\'" nil jka-compr)
 ("\\.bz2\\'" nil jka-compr)
 ("\\.Z\\'" nil jka-compr)))

and I want to change a some minor thing it then I don't want to
type whe whole thing. I'd like to have the current value displayed
in a buffer, modify it then simply apply it.

Your solution can be useful for primitive types, but handling
more complex values in the echo area would not be really convenient.