Re: preferring mercurial

From: Martin Geisler
Subject: Re: preferring mercurial
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:49:59 +0000 (UTC)

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-01/msg00238.html

> On Thursday 09 January 2014 07:35:22 Neal Becker wrote:
> > hg also has tortoisehg, which is a very nice mature gui.  There is nothing
> > like that for git.  I have found 1 or 2 guis that are extremely limited in
> > function.
>
> I don't think a GUI primarily for Windows (non-free software) is going to
> persuade GNU Emacs developers.  (And in my opinion `magit' is the best VCS
> interface I have used so far.)

Hi,

I'm a Mercurial developer, but please don't let that scare you :) Saying
that TortoiseHg is a GUI primarily for Windows is a mistake. It is a
cross-platform Python program that runs on at least Linux, Mac OS X, and
Windows. I use it on Linux daily. It is packaged for at least Debian and
Ubuntu. See

  http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/download/linux.html

The confusion probably comes from the "Tortoise" prefix, which is also used
by TortoiseSVN and some other version control GUIs. I believe the other GUIs
are Windows only, and so I can understand that people who haven't looked
deeper into things would think that TortoiseHg is also just for Windows.

--
Martin Geisler