Re: preferring mercurial

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: preferring mercurial
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 11:09:17 -0500

On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 10:55 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> > On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 09:08 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> >
> > > Furthermore, the Mercurial fans bitching about this seem to forget
> > > that in the original post where I pushed for the change to git that
> > > *I prefer Mercurial myself*. Yet I use git
> >
> > Not much of a preference, then. Why not help us improve hg-git or
> > advocate for Kiln Harmony to get freed up?
>
> Because I don't believe anything I could do would reverse git's
> runaway-leader status.  I'm too busy to bother with futile gestures.

I didn't say you had to do anything about git's popularity. I'm just
wondering why you're putting up with a tool that you don't enjoy
yourself. It's not very hackerly-ethical to put up with tools you
consider bad but you use them just because they're popular. Why not
work on improving the tool you enjoy using?

- Jordi G. H.