Re: Eldoc mode in eval-minibuffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Eldoc mode in eval-minibuffer
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 21:05:44 -0500

> But previously it was enabled only after loading eldoc.el via add-hook
> to eval-expression-minibuffer-setup-hook.
> But then someone added a FIXME on that add-hook.

Ah, that rings a bell, I was that someone.

> While discarding the eldoc-post-insert-mode I thought I get rid of that
> FIXME as well. Who would know someone would complain? ;)

I think the way to get rid of that FIXME is to remove the `add-hook'
but without replacing it with a mandatory call to eldoc-mode in
read--expression.

As for how to best enable eldoc-mode in the minibuffer, it's a good
question.  If the user enables (a hypothetical) global-eldoc-mode, then
read--expression could check global-eldoc-mode to decide whether to
enable eldoc-mode.

        Stefan