Re: Please don't obsolete "crisp.el"

From: Luke Lee
Subject: Re: Please don't obsolete "crisp.el"
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 18:39:22 +0800

Another drawback is that we might be confused since the history will
contain both Emacs trunk commit messages and ELPA messages.
However I've figure out a solution: to add a marker or notice message
like "(Merged from Emacs trunk)" at each of the of the crisp.el commit
message using "git filter-branch --msg-filter". I've tried that successfully
in my local repo.

>> But it would be good to preserve the VCS history of the file, if possible.
>
> I don't think that's practical (maybe some VCS will support this well at
> some point, but currently I think it'd be too much hassle for too little
> benefit).

Since ELPA is VCS by git and we have an Emacs git clone, it's not
difficult. I tried that in my local repo and successfully merged the full
history of crisp.el from Emacs to ELPA. The only inconvenience is that we'll
need to apply "--follow" argument when doing "git log crisp.el " to be able
to see the full history of crisp.el. Otherwise "git log crisp.el" only shows
the one that I move it into "packages/crisp-mode".

Basically I followed the steps described in StackOverflow, with some extra
steps I successfully merging the full history of crisp.el *ONLY*. The original
flow is discussed here: "http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1365541/
how-to-move-files-from-one-git-repo-to-another-not-a-clone-preserving-history"

If it's okay with all of you, I'll commit the full history of crisp.el into ELPA, and
also keep it in Emacs obsolete.

--
Best regards,
Luke Lee