Re: Release-critical bugs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Release-critical bugs
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:34:29 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:49:13 -0400
>
> Less flippantly, more concentrated focus on the release, less "a handful
> of people try to get the release in shape while the majority play with
> the trunk (and argue about VCS)".

I can't agree more, but the question is how to reach that goal?

> (But this might just be my biased impression.)

My impression is similar, FWIW.

> Also a defined release manager position, with the authority
> to set deadlines and decide what needs to be done, which I think was
> lacking this time. (I don't want the job; it needs to be someone
> motivated and with Emacs experience.)

We need a volunteer, yes.

> And more documenting of changes closer to the time they happen, by the
> person who makes the change, rather than leaving it to the end.

I suggested that once, but the suggestion was rejected.  I still think
it's a good policy, successfully implemented in other projects.

> We have ~ 200 developers, in theory. I think say 6 months from feature
> freeze to release ought to be doable, though I would not want to be
> dogmatic about it; it should take as long as it takes.
>
> When it takes too long, people get disheartened and lose focus.

I absolutely agree, but the problem is a practical one; I think we are
all together on the principles front.