Re: A simple git workflow for the rest of us

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: A simple git workflow for the rest of us
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 10:23:53 +0100

>>> mv emacs trunk

>> If you're going to rename the directory, you'd be better off just
>> telling git clone what you want it to be named:

>> git clone -b master git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git master

> I don't see how that's shorter or easier to remember.

Wasn't this document so that one didn't have to remember: Ie. a single
place to copy-paste command line commands from?

If so, this would give one less line to copy-paste.

>>> ./trunk/admin/git-new-workdir

>> This doesn't exist and whether or not git-workdir or even separate
>> working trees is what you'll want is debatable.

> If this is the work flow we're going with, it will exist.

[snip!]
>> If the directories are side-by side anyway, then
>>
>> git clone -b emacs-24 --reference emacs git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git
>> emacs-24
>>
>> is just as good.

> Somebody else will have to weigh in on that.  I have no idea.

For the purposes of a robust list of copy-paste commands, using just
what's in git itself is better than using a script that may, or may not,
be present.