Re: emacs-dynamic-module in Emacs Git?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-dynamic-module in Emacs Git?
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 17:42:10 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Aurélien Aptel <address@hidden>,
>   address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 09:08:42 -0500
>
> >     (In general, I question why "modules" that require such tight
> >     integration with Emacs internals are a good idea: why not simply
> >     add them to the Emacs core and be done with that?  What do we gain
> >     by having them as separate .so shared objects?)
>
> Because we want to provide the possibility to distribute dynamic
> moduless via GNU ELPA, MELPA, Marmalade, ...

Like I said: I question whether this is a good idea.  Such modules
will break all the time due to internal changes, and at best will only
work with one particular version of Emacs internals.  These archives
are not a good way to impose the kind of discipline it takes to keep
backward compatibility.

But I guess all this was already brought up.  I just saw the slippery
slope the few modules in that branch start on and couldn't resist.