Re: emacs-dynamic-module in Emacs Git?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs-dynamic-module in Emacs Git?
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 22:29:12 -0500

> From the Emacs core side, it's not fun to have to support internal
> details for years because modules are using them.

Indeed.  At first, I'll expect this API will get broken on a
regular basis.  Then it will stabilize such that old modules can still
be used in slightly more recent Emacsen.  But I don't expect to ever aim
for the same kind of backward compatibility we expect for Elisp packages.
IOW, "backward compatibility with existing dynamic modules" will be
desirable but not "top priority".

> For instance, that kind of deep integration is very likely to be
> a blocker for concurrent threads of execution in the core.

The alternative (which currently looks more reasonable) is that the
introduction of concurrency will simply break many/most existing
dynamic modules.

        Stefan