Re: More metaproblem

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: More metaproblem
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 11:11:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 03:08:14 -0600

>> > See admin/notes/repo and admin/notes/commits.  What else is missing?
>>
>> That does not describe the changelog entry/commit message format. There
>> is admin/notes/changelog, which contains a reference to the Gnu coding
>> standards and some hints.
>
> Maybe we should simply move all that into etc/CONTRIBUTE, and leave in
> admin/notes only stuff that is minor/obscure etc.

etc/CONTRIBUTE should contain everything necessary to create a patch
submission that can just be applied with "git am" without modification
(well, apart from another git commit --amend -s for adding a
"Signed-off-by" from the person picking up and pushing the patch).

While less polished submissions may be processed, that requires more of
a personal investment from "somebody" picking them up.  So it's a good
idea to have everything necessary in that file.

That does not mean that the file can't start with an encouragement to
submit less complete contributions if people get stuck getting the full
thing accomplished.

--
David Kastrup