Re: Alternative input formats

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: Alternative input formats
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 07:27:39 +0000

[…]

 > I don't think anybody has asked for "full HTML" (and definitely not
 > "full HTML5", although some HTML5 features might be nice).

        I see no outright issues with implementing support for the
        majority of elements and attributes HTML5 defines, – at least
        those unrelated to CSS, ECMAScript, and videos.

        Fortunately, HTML5 makes little effort to specify how a
        conforming browser should display any particular element or
        document, – it instead delegates that to CSS.  Hence, we may
        very well improve EWW for a decent HTML5 conformance, leaving
        CSS conformance aside.

 > Certainly the necessary navigation features are easy to implement in
 > Emacs Lisp.  The Emacs Lisp InfoML browser can provide them natively,
 > and ignore the Ecmascript functions that conventional browsers would
 > probably use to support navigation.

        Seconded.

 > Other than that we need faces, and I would suggest prohibiting EM
 > (and I!) and STRONG (ditto B!) elements in favor of semantic markup
 > on DIV and SPAN elements ('class="nextNode"' and the like).

        I’m unsure if I understand; per the HTML5 specification, <em />
        and <strong /> are /already/ “semantic markup,” – as well as
        <i /> and <b /> (which are redefined to that effect.)  Consider
        the excerpts from [1] below.

        I hope you don’t suggest we use, say, <span class="emphasis" />
        instead of plain <em />?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/text-level-semantics.html

[…]

4.5.2 The em element

The em element represents stress emphasis of its contents.

4.5.3 The strong element

The strong element represents strong importance, seriousness, or urgency
for its contents.

4.5.17 The i element

The i element represents a span of text in an alternate voice or mood,
or otherwise offset from the normal prose in a manner indicating a
different quality of text, such as a taxonomic designation, a technical
term, an idiomatic phrase from another language, transliteration, a
thought, or a ship name in Western texts.

4.5.18 The b element

The b element represents a span of text to which attention is being
drawn for utilitarian purposes without conveying any extra importance
and with no implication of an alternate voice or mood, such as key words
in a document abstract, product names in a review, actionable words in
interactive text-driven software, or an article lede.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A