Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:15:59 -0600

> The git translation was a good thing.

Yes, which is why people on the devel list had been asking to move away
from bzr for a while.  Even then, it took many pleas to the bzr
developers and for bzr to basically become defunct before we made the
switch to git.

The situation with texinfo is not similar.  While there have been
complaints about texinfo 5 being slow, I don't recall many (if any)
people asking to move away from texinfo, there has been movement in
texinfo to speed things up, and as far as I know texinfo isn't in danger
of becoming unmaintained.  It was very shocking and disappointing to
read that Richard had agreed to change formats to asciidoc.
It is even more surprising since TeXinfo is a GNU project, I believe.

Sadly, I think the best thing that can happen here is that the
discussion wastes everybody's time and we stick with texinfo.
Oh, and texinfo 5 speeds up.

Jay