Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:09:43 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I'm sure when you do such changes, you
grep (or otherwise search) the whole tree for relevant places

No, I hardly ever do that. For example, I don't look at the Lisp code if I'm changing some aspect of the C code that shouldn't affect Lisp. And in instances like the strcpy/stpcpy change, where the changes' effects don't bleed into the MS-Windows port, I don't look at the MS-Windows code. In this sense the MS-Windows code is like the OS X code, or like any other part of the Emacs source code for that matter.

Ideally, the MS-Windows code would be a completely separate module, so that changes in the Emacs core would not affect it and non-MS-Windows developers would never need to worry about it. We're obviously not there, as we have too many dependencies between the core and the MS-Windows code, one of the symptoms of which is too many "#ifdef WINDOWSNT" directives sprinkled throught the core modules. In some aspects, though, we do have good separation, and this kind of separation should be encouraged, and it's good when developers can take advantage of it.