Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Aneesh Kumar K.V
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 20:10:45 +0530

Jorgen Schäfer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello.
> I think a major part of the problem here is that package-initialize does
> a lot more things than it needs to. All that has to happen before the
> user init file is loaded is to load the autoload files from ~/.emacs.d/elpa/.
> Everything else can happen on demand or after the init file is loaded,
> because it is not necessary to make packages available.
>
> If package.el provided some sort of (package-load-directory DIR), and
> ran that on ~/.emacs.d/elpa/, that should fix most use cases already:

I ran into an issue with using package.el along with use-package.el. I
had most of the packages installed via package.el . One of the main
benefit of using elpa is the easy upgrade of packages that elpa
offers. So it would be nice to have a facility that enables to add all
the installed packages to the load-path so that a (require 'use-package)
can work. This enables us to delay the package initialization of elpa
packages using use-package,which in-turn helps the emacs startup time.

-aneesh