Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 09:54:47 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> As I keep saying, this won't solve the issue where the user can't `require'
>> packages in his init file until package initialize has been manually
>> called.  That's what prompted this whole thread and it's explained in the
>> first email.
>
> Indeed, for this use-case, adding "(package-initialize)" explicitly in
> the ~/.emacs seems like the best solution.

I thought the point of this discussion was to find a solution that
doesn't require that?

> Of course, as mentioned, having `require' in one's ~/.emacs should be
> rare.

I think many people use `require' in their .emacs to load libraries,
though in this case it doesn't matter whether they use `require' or
`load-library', or try to call a function or access a variable or
anything else from the package.

A user is likely to expect everything defined by a package to be
available during the execution of their init.el; the failure to meet
this expectation is why we get so many confused users asking for help,
receiving the answer "just put (package-initialize) at the top of your
.emacs".

If nobody sees any disadvantages, and nobody beats me to it, I might
start working on implementing the solution that separates pre-package
configuration from normal configuration, including Customize.

Taylan