Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 02:35:53 +0300

On 08/05/2015 01:43 AM, João Távora wrote:

Assuming my half-baked understanding of all of this is minimally
correct, I'd say "global" though. I might want to change my project
from make to cmake to something else and keep my list of ignored dirs,
right?

I suppose that depends on whether the Makefile format the "make project" already includes a means to specify the search-path and the ignore patterns. Same for "cmake project" and CMakeLists.txt.

But if you're going to the VC project backend for all those projects anyway, the answer to the question won't make a difference.

So I suppose we could introduce those variables globally, but then say that the respective methods must use them, unless the project file includes syntax allowing the user to specify those values there.

I wrote somewhere else that I think some kind of vision is needed
for the whole thing (a simple ASCII diagram would do for
me). Personally, I tend to like your approach and it seems to be modular
and simple, but I got lost in the details of your discussion with Stephen...

Is the general picture something like this?

There no solid plan on this, but I'd expect the functions on the left all start with project-. So M-x rgrep uses the current directory, and M-x project-rgrep uses the project-roots combined with project-search-path (maybe we'll have two commands for that: one won't include search-path, and another will).