Re: running EDE from a file that is not under a project root dir

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: running EDE from a file that is not under a project root dir
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:26:19 -0500

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Ludlam <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Other project type also have emacs lisp targets, such as the Emacs
>> project type.  To use, just enabled ede with
>>
>> (global-ede-mode 1)
>>
>> And go edit some Emacs.
>
> Is that supposed to work for random elisp code, or only for code in the
> core Emacs repository?
>
> I don't see any effect in random elisp code; in particular, M-:
> (ede-current-project) returns nil.
>
> Testing; same result in emacs/master/lisp/xml.el.
>
> So I'm missing something.

I tracked this down. To get this to work, I need the following:

(require 'ede)
(require 'ede/emacs)

(global-ede-mode 1)

Then when I edit a file in an Emacs git checkout, (ede-current-project)
returns the emacs project.

That project doesn't support 'compile', which is a little surprising. I
was wondering if it could handle out-of-tree builds, which I use.

Along the way, I discovered that the ede code in Emacs core is a little
broken by the recent changes in eieio/cl-generic.

I see this is fixed (at least partly?) in the current EDE SourceForge
git. So I'll use that code base for further work.

--
-- Stephe