Re: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 16:15:17 -0400

  > Nothing more.  What's good for `e' should be good for `é' and
  > all the rest.  It's about equivalence classes.

That would be a change for the worse, since it would reduce the range
of searches that the user can specify with one character in the
search.

Currently the user can either search for "any kind of e" or "only é"
or "only è" or "only ê", etc.

With your change, the user would be limited to searching for "any kind
of e".  That would be a step back in flexibility.

Since the current interface is fairly natural, there is no loss in
offering the user all these options.

I would not oppose offering a configuration setting to get the
behavior you want.  There is nothing to lose with that.  But the
current behavior is a more useful default than the behavior you would
like.

--
Dr Richard Stallman