Re: In support of guile-emacs

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: In support of guile-emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:24:14 +0000

Hello, Xue.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 09:07:59AM +0800, Xue Fuqiao wrote:

> guile-emacs replaces Emacs's own Emacs Lisp engine with Guile's (without
> breaking backward compatibility).  So:

> * Emacs Lisp will execute faster (Guile VM bytecode is more efficient)

Just as a matter of interest, approximately how much faster is Guile
bytecode than Emacs bytecode?  Are we talking about 10%, 20%, 50%, a
factor of 2, or even higher?

If that speed increase was significant, it might be worth incorporating
Guile's bytecode into Emacs just for that reason, regardless of any of
the other stuff.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).