Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 02:43:22 +0200

>> John, could you please extend the deadline of the feature freeze a little
>> since I have no chance to commit all changes until Friday.
>>
>> Basically what I'm doing is the same kind of work as Alan's efforts in
>> bug#17453. While Alan is designing a framework to support multiple windows
>> by adding a new arg with a group of windows, I'm designing a framework to
>> support multiple regions by adding a new arg with a group of regions.
>>
>> In bug#19829 I've collected the evidence of commands that need this feature
>> as a basis for the new design, but the deadlock was caused by the same
>> question that backpedaled the Alan's design: whether to add a new arg to the
>> existing functions or to try stuffing it into the existing ones?
>
> Given the discussion Alan and I are having, maybe we should step back the
> three of us and make sure that we're taking a consistent approach.
>
> If your work is similar to Alan's in nature, I'd be willing to extend its
> deadline beyond the freeze date as well -- if it doesn't come in too late. I'd
> rather not extend the freeze overall, since otherwise we might keep doing it.
> Too many cool ideas out there. :)
>
> The freeze is motivation to get 25.1 out the door, so 25.2 can come sooner.

Actually I'm happy that you are pushing for the sooner release,
so now we have to concentrate on both these almost finished features.

Also in the next release I'd like to see improvements in the Isearch prompt
listed in the proposal Artur published on EmacsWiki, but it seems it's
impossible to reach consensus in a reasonable time before the next release
due to a wide spectrum of opinions, so perhaps Isearch prompt changes need
to wait for 25.2.