Re: builds are getting slower?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: builds are getting slower?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 13:58:26 +0200

> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:50:11 +0000
> From: Artur Malabarba <address@hidden>
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>, Glenn Morris <address@hidden>,
> address@hidden
>
> We need to locate the dir locals file(s) in order to compare its timestamp to
> the cache. Do we have a faster way of expanding wildcards?

Does it have to be wildcards?  Will file-name-all-completions not do?

And why exactly this code needs to run when we need to byte-compile
Lisp files, btw?

Also, since we know only very well which dir-local files are present
in the Emacs tree, we could make some trick (like binding a special
variable) for this case.  After all, 20% is only clearly visible when
the total build time is long, and that doesn't happen a lot outside of
bootstrapping Emacs.

In any case, I suggest to profile this code, before we decide that
this is indeed the culprit.  It could be something utterly unrelated.